How do weighted blankets work?+
Science shows that sleeping under weight improves sleep quality, lowers stress, and eases anxiety – and when those things are better, everything’s better!
Here’s a breakdown of the science that lies underneath our cozy and calming Nappers:
- Activates the effects of Deep Touch Pressure (DTP)
- Increases serotonin to make you feel happier and more content
- Increases melatonin to lull you into blissful slumber
- Decreases cortisol to help reduce anxiety and stress
- Mimics the effects of ‘grounding’ or ‘earthing’
- Mimics the sensation of a warm hug
If you’re looking for more information, read our deep-dive into how weighted blankets work.
What are the health benefits of weighted blankets?+
The most significant health benefits of weighted blankets include improved sleep and reduced feelings of anxiety and stress.
Many people with autism, fibromyalgia, post-traumatic stress disorder, restless leg syndrome, or sensory processing disorder have found sleeping under weight benefits their health.
What is the ideal weighted blanket weight?+
The recommended weighted blanket weight is 10% of your body weight. For someone who weighs 150 pounds, your best bet is the 15 lb weighted blanket. For someone closer to 200 lbs, we recommend our 20 lb blanket.
If you’re in-between weights, we recommend to bump up to the higher weight option. Our Nappers are available in 15, 20, and 25 lb weight options.
We also have an 8 lb weighted blanket, the Nappling, designed especially for kids.
How do you wash a weighted blanket?+
Our Nappers are machine washable!
- Wash separately in cold or lukewarm water (max 90 °F)
- Select either the delicate or permanent-press cycle
- Use only gentle or mild detergent
- Avoid using fabric softener
- Tumble dry on low heat – please note it may take more than one round for your Napper to dry completely
- Never hang your Napper up to dry – it’ll stretch!
Make sure to check your washing machine’s weight capacity before washing your Napper. Our delightfully heavy blankets are great for deep sleep, but it’s essential to check beforehand if the washing machine model you have can bear the full weight of your blanket.
Read more: How to wash your weighted blanket.
What is the difference between the Cotton Napper and the Tree Napper?+
It’s simple: if you like it cozy, usually don’t get overly hot at night, share the bed with a furry friend, and you want a Napper you can use all year round – the Cotton Napper is for you.
If you tend to sleep hot and often find yourself waking up feeling a bit sweaty every night – the Tree Napper is your new best friend.
Our original Cotton Napper is made from 100% organic, GOTS-certified, sustainably-farmed cotton. Our Tree Napper is made of Tencel, a fiber made from the wood pulp of trees grown and replaced on specialized tree farms. Our Tencel comes from eucalyptus wood pulp, making it extra cooling and completely biodegradable.